In 1766, a watermill was built in the picturesque area of Górzno. It was located between two lakes – Górzno, and the smaller one, situated approx. 7 metres lower, namely the 2-hectare Lake Wapionka, the name of which comes from the word “wapień”, which in Polish means limestone. The lake was probably created after a limestone excavation. The spring water flowing down the hills replenished the water in the lake, and the surplus became the “white energy” which set the mill machines in motion. By virtue of a contract concluded with the Płock bishop, the owner of the Wapionka mill was now Mr Nowieński.
About fifty years later, the mill came under the administration of the Górzno town. During the annexation period, the mill was mostly owned by the Germans (Ludwig von Janiszewski, Michael Schaffmann, Friedrich Hoppe, Ferdinand Regal, Jew Goldberg, Robert Poschmann). In the mid-19th century, the main occupation of the town inhabitants was agricultural work. Apart from residential houses, in the town, there were, just like in the past centuries, thatched farm buildings and barns. The two watermills and one windmill situated near the city mill did not lack raw material for milling.
At the end of the 19th century, there was a rapid farming development. New agricultural tools and varieties of cereals began to arrive in Górzno. The watermills were successively modernised (Robert Poschmann, Otton Gitz).
Since 1932, the mill has been owned by a Pole, Antonina Nadolna from Wąbrzeźno. A large wooden house near the mill, built using the log technique and covered with shingles, a nearby orchard, a forest and a small lake with an island in the middle thereof – tourism develops here very smoothly. The hospitable owners, the Nadolny family, welcome the so-called summer holidaymakers. The husband and wife are the founders of the Christ statue which stands on the island, connected with the lake shore by a wooden bridge. Scouts and members of various associations operating in the town come here to light campfires and sing patriotic songs.
In summer, the singer of the Warsaw Opera, Helena Jarosz, performs here. Her summer residence is located in the closest vicinity of Wapionka. Mr Walencik, the miller, operates the mill. He has two helpers.
Mrs Nadolna administers the mill and manages the finances. During the Nazi occupation, the mill remains the property of the Nadolny family, but the production is reduced. The Germans desecrate the Christ statue by drowning it in the lake.
After 1945, the mill remains private property. However, the difficult economic situation and the ageing owner gradually bring the mill to a decline.
Competition from the neighbouring mills (Bachor, Pólko, Nosek) made Wapionka cut down its production, reducing it to food middlings. The last owner of the mill is Mr Szymański. After his death in 1979, the mill machines cease their characteristic tumult forever and the streams of water, which used to set the mill in motion, change direction. In 1999, the property passes into the hands of a new owner.
At present, the Dworek Wapionka Hotel changes its purpose. The mill has become the comfy Karczma Młyn Restaurant (so literally translating: The Mill Inn Restaurant if you wish to know) serving Polish cuisine. The Christ statue has been salvaged from the depths of the lake and returned to the island. The miller’s house is now a manor hosting tourists loving the Górzno nature, peace and quiet, comfort and delicious food.
The magic aura of this place will soothe your soul and relax your body! Simply unforgettable!