In 1766, a watermill was built in a picturesque vicinity of Górzno, between two lakes – so‑called “Górznieńskie” and “Wapionka” – and a small 2-hectare lake situated 7 meters higher, which had probably been created after excavation of limestone. Spring water flowing down the hillsides filled in its level in the lake and the surplus became “white energy” which made mill devices working. Under a contract concluded with the bishop of Płock, Mr Nowieński became the owner of the “Wapionka” mill.
About fifty years later, the mill was taken into ownership of the local authorities in Górzno. During the period of the Partitions of Poland, the mill was mostly owned by Germans (Ludwig von Janiszewski, Michael Schaffmann, Friedrich Hoppe, Ferdynand Regal, Goldberg, Robert Poschmann). In the middle of the 19th century, people worked on the land which was their main occupation. In the city, as many years ago, apart from houses, one could notice thatches of outbuildings and barns. Grains which were planted then were mostly rye and barley. Two watermills and one windmill situated in the vicinity of the city were always working.
At the end of the 19th century, arable farms developed fast. New agricultural implements and selected varieties of grain reached Górzno. Watermills owned by Germans were modernized successively (Robert Poschmann, Otton Gitz).
Since 1932, the mill was owned by a Polish woman – Antonina Nadolna from Wąbrzeźno. A big wooden log house roofed with shingle near the mill, an orchard, a forest and a small lake with its island – all created favourable conditions for the development of tourism. Hospitable owners, the Nadolnis, entertained so-called holidaymakers. They founded a figure of Christ which they placed in the island connected to the shore of the lake by a wooden bridge. This place was often visited by scouts and members of associations run in the city. The fire was burning bright, you could listen to patriotic and scout songs. In summer, Helena Jarosz gave performances. She was a singer of the Warsaw Opera who had her summer residence in the vicinity of Wapionka. The mill was operated by a miller - Mr Walencik – helped by two boys.
Mrs Nadolna administered and managed finances. When Hitler occupied Poland, the mill was still owned by the Nadolnys. However, the production was limited. Germans desecrated the figure of Christ, throwing it into the lake.
After 1945, the mill was still privately-held. However, the economic situation and the aging owner became the reasons why the mill started to collapse gradually.
Nearby competitors, the Bachor, Pólko and Nosek mills, caused that Wapionka limited its production and produced merely feed for animals. The last owner of the mill was Mr Szymański. After his death in 1979, the mill devices, rattling in a characteristic way, were heard of no more, and water which made the mill working was directed somewhere else. In 1999, the estate found a new owner.
Currently, Wapionka has started to serve a different purpose. The mill became a cosy, exclusive tavern with splendid dishes. The figure of Christ was recovered from the lake and came back to the island. The miller’s house became a manor house where tourists enamoured of beautiful nature of Górzno as well as peace, comfort and good cuisine lovers are entertained and welcomed kindly.